You need to place an order for enough grain, hay, and chimpanzee food to last the month of April.
1. How many days are in April?
2. How much grain, hay, and chimpanzee food will you need to order? Show how you know you will have enough food for the animals.
3. What would be the least amount of money you would need to spend?
Math Module 2 Challenge: Dinner at the Zoo
You are working at a small zoo. The director has put you in charge of ordering food for the 8 zebras and 10 chimpanzees. He has given you the following information:
Naptime at the Zoo
You are working at a small zoo. The director has put you in charge of arranging temporary sleeping quarters for the 8 zebras and 10 chimpanzees while their regular habitat is being renovated. She has given you the following information:
Zebra Space Requirements
Each zebra needs at least 48 square feet of stall space for sleeping/shelter. The zebras need to be able to easily turn around in the space provided.
Chimpanzee Space Requirements
Each chimpanzee needs a space at least 6 ft by 6 ft for sleeping/shelter.
CHALLENGE: Design a barn with a stall for each zebra. Include space for a walkway and food storage. Sketch your design on the grid paper provided and record your measurements in the chart.
1. How many total kilograms of food does a giraffe eat on any given day?
2. How many kilograms of vegetables will the giraffes eat during the months of April and May?
3. How many kilograms of fruit will the giraffes eat during the months of April and May?
At the Zoo, each giraffe eats the following amount of food every day. There are 5 giraffes at the zoo.
● Herbivore pellets 4 kg
● Alfalfa hay 2.5 kg
● Timothy hay 2.5 kg
● Apples 90 g
● Onions 120 g
● Bananas 30 g
● Yams 100 g
● Carrots 60g
● Red beets 40 g
● Browse (tree leaves) 1 kg